Meet the teacher is also when you bring in all the school supplies for each child. I don't know what other schools are like, but our school requires a lot of supplies. My kids each go in with two of the cloth grocery sacks FULL of supplies, and some of them are heavy--like reams of paper heavy. So how do you go to school with 6 kids, and 6 bags of supplies and try to meet three teachers in 1 hour?
It's all about the red wagon. I load it up with the bags of supplies and biggest child either pulls the wagon or pushes the baby's stroller while I do the other. Then we leave the wagon and the stroller in the hall at each classroom while the child meeting their teacher goes in with me and distributes their supplies and meets their teacher. If it's not too crowded the stroller and other kids come in too, but most of the time, its just too crowded. Anyway, that's how we do it. And afterwards we go to Pop-Pop's to reward ourselves for getting it done, and mourn the passing of another summer.
I kind of hate it when the kids go back to school. I hate cracking the whip all the time about homework and the whole school morning routine--rushing around to get everything done in time to catch the bus, just gets old fast! That said, the kids all have wonderful teachers this year, so I'm really happy about that. In fact, each of these teachers has had at least one other Gariety in their class, so that's kind of fun. Although, that means they all have received at least one Book of Mormon from us, so I'll have to figure out a different end-of-the-year gift this time. :)
Daphne with Mrs. Fortescue, 4th grade
Sean with Ms. Fromme, 3rd grade
Hayden with Mrs. Hamlet and Miss Phillips
(Hayden informed me that he would not be attending Kindergarten this year unless he got Miss Phillips for his teacher. I was beyond relieved when he actually did get her! She's the beautiful blonde--I think we all know why Hayden wanted her for his teacher. He gets to look at her all day! Plus she's just got a magnetic personality--super fun and energetic. I don't think I've ever seen her without a smile on her face. Seriously. My cheeks would be sore if I smiled as much as Miss Phillips.)
First Days of school:
Dallin 6th grade--He's a middle schooler this year!
Daphne 4th, and Sean 2nd
Hayden's first day of school! He didn't know how to make a "K" for Kindergarten, so he flashed me a little vulcan instead. Live long and proser, buddy. Live long and prosper.
Daphne, Sean and Hayden on Hayden's first day
Super excited to ride the bus!
Off he goes. . .
Lined up with his teacher and heading to class
Good-bye, darling Hayden.
I sure miss having him around all the time.
Sending the kids to school is hard for me.





1 comment:
I'm with you, Sharee. I hate when school starts up again. I used to love it, but now it just makes me sad. And the little kids miss their big brother and sisters. I'm not nearly as fun as they are.
Way to get creative with meet the teacher day. I always dread hauling in all the supplies, too - not to mention footing the bill!
Post a Comment