Saturday, June 04, 2016

Kirtland AFB Airshow

June 4, 2016
Kirtland Airforce Base Air Show
ABQ

After a couple of false alarms on Memorial Day and the following Tuesday, baby still hadn't come.  So on Saturday, we  went to the Kirtland AFB airshow.  Daphne's friend Kirra came with us that day--she had come into town from Boston for Girl's Camp and had just gotten back that morning.  She was a great sport, even though I'm sure she was tired from Girl's Camp!

The Air Show was great!  There were really fun stunt pilots flying propeller planes and some cool fly-bys:  a fire fighter plane, and a B2 Bomber were among the best ones.  There were also lots of grounded aircraft that you could walk through and "play on."  I'll admit, I kept thinking, how would I get to the hospital in time if I went into labor out here?  It was a good walk to the shuttle busses and a 10-15 minute ride back to the parking lots.  I'm sure they would have rushed me outta there if there had been an emergency, but it made me nervous!

The only bummer is how hot it was out there!  Crowds of people were camped out in the shade of every grounded aircraft.  We stopped for awhile next to a HUGE cargo plane (C 110, I think?) to just get out of the sun and enjoy a cold slushy drink.  Finally, after several hours in the hot sun checking everything out, and when the F-18 fly-by was indefinitely postponed due to lightning in the area, we decided to call it a day.  Very fun, but I think next time, we would bring a bag full of ice to help cool us off, and umbrellas for shade!  Also, not being 38 weeks pregnant would probably make it a little more enjoyable. ;)


a 38 week baby bump shadow











1 comment:

McEntire Family said...

Thanks for taking Kirra that day! She had a wonderful time! And you should win an award for being on that concrete and enduring the heat all day being so pregnant!