Sunday, June 14, 2009

Reverence is . . .

not the way we came into church today.


I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but here's kind of how it played out. Arthur had an early meeting (his last one, since since he was just released from the Stake YM presidency today--yipee!) So I was getting everyone ready for church by myself, which I've done semi-successfully plenty of times, but today, somehow, I completely lost track of time, and when I got a chance to look at the clock, it said 8:45! I should have left five minutes ago! Especially since the choir was singing a prelude hymn, which I was accompanying!

So I started frantically grabbing shoes, socks, ties, belts, for Sean & Hayden, all while Dallin was putting cereal in bags for everyone to eat for breakfast in the car.

I arrived at church with my kids eating their breakfast out of ziplock bags, missing shoes and socks, and in Hayden's case, his shirt wasn't even fully buttoned. With about three minutes before the meeting started, we pulled into the parking lot, grabbed all our stuff (primary bag, diaper bag, breakfast in ziploc bags . . .) and RAN into the building!

I plopped the kids & bags down on a bench, and got up to the piano bench with a minute to spare. Miraculously, the kids sat quietly without a single escape attempt until I got back down from playing, at which point I proceeded to finish dressing poor little Hayden.

We then had a very good sacrament meeting which, appropriately, focused on reverence. Clearly, we can use some help in that area.

Another exciting development at church was that Daphne lost her first tooth during Primary. A couple weeks earlier, I had tried to pull it out unsuccessfully, which left Daphne a bit scarred, I think. As a result, she decided to wait until it just fell out, which it never did. It just got more and more wiggly until at church, her primary teacher said, "Enough is enough! That tooth needs to come out." And pulled it out for her.

Here she is with her tooth in one hand and the letter she wrote to the tooth fairy clarifying whose tooth it was. We taped her tooth to the note and put it under her pillow for her very first tooth fairy experience!


1 comment:

Erin said...

I know how you feel! Try 8 am church and having to nurse a baby and get the other kids ready and out the door by 7:30. Leaves me a little flustered to say the least!