Friday, February 26, 2010

kid'isms

Lately, Sean has been into making random obvious statements.  At one of Hayden's many Dr. visits for his ears, Sean had a cough.  He hacked and hacked and hacked and then told the nurse very loudly, "I have a cough!"  At another recent Dr. visit, Sean informed the doctor, "My dad is ALIVE!"  The doctor (who sounds like he might be from Jamaica) laughed, "Oh, well, dat is good!"

Every week when Sunday rolls around, Sean comes into our room and says apprehensively, "Mom, what day is it?"  Me:  "Sunday"  Sean: "awww, I don't want to go to church!"  It's the same thing, EVERY week.  And sometimes he'll add something like, "I'm sick Mom, I have to stay home."  I hope this is just  a phase . . .

Daphne:  I want to come to Young Women's with you, Mom.
Dallin:  Daph, you can't go because you are not a young woman.  You're more like . . . a small girl.


Last night we were making some sugar cookies.  I used a butter substitute instead of real butter and it made the recipe too runny.  When I tried adding more flour, it kind of ruined the dough.  I told the kids sorry, but I ruined the dough.  Daphne said, "Don't worry Mom, don't feel bad.  You tried your best."  :)

Hayden is like a little First Mate at our house.  He repeats all of the parents' orders and sometimes he makes up his own.  "We go to church Don (Sean)!"  "Sit down Don!"  "At the table!" (food at the table) "Cyoze (close) you eyes!" (during a prayer). "Don't touch!" (yes, he hears that one frequently.)  And this morning when I came down to fix breakfast, he ordered me to "Put away!" (there were some boxes on the table that needed to be cleared before he could eat.)  I guess when you have five older people constantly tell you what to do, you figure out real quick how to boss people around.

 Dallin and Daphne were recently each posed with the question, 
(at different times and by different people) 
"What do you want to be when you grow up?" 
 Dallin's written response:  I have know idea.  I still have a long time to think about it.
 Daphne's verbal response:  Nothing.  I just want to take care of my kids.

I loved that Daphne just wants to take care of her kids . . .  I guess about the time she has her first one she'll figure out that it's the polar opposite of "nothing."  ;)

What's the first thing that comes to mind when your 4-year-old son yells from downstairs, 
"Mom!  The pokey is up!"  
Naturally, the logical explanation for that statement is that the bathtub drain won't seal.  It couldn't be more obvious, right?  Now, what if he calls you a "slick slack?"  No idea?  Me neither.  I'm still working on that one.

Sean has come up with some funny names for his made-up games.  
He calls one "Roll the guy" 
which is a game in which you empty out the big red bucket that holds the stuffed animals, and put a person in it--I think Hayden has been the primary participant--and then Sean rolls the bucket with a "guy" inside.  The other day he came downstairs armed with a light saber and a plastic helmet and said, 
"Hey Daph--wanna play 'Kill the Girl' with me?"
  She thought for a second and then judiciously said, 
"Um, no."

5 comments:

Eric and Jewels said...

So Eric and I couldn't stop laughing, your kids are hilarious!! Love you guys!

Trisha said...

what a cute post. And Im glad to know that my 6 year old isnt the only one who asks every sunday if its "church day" and then moans when we say yes. lately he askes is it conference, and when we ask why do you like conference so much he says "cause we get to stay home!" OH MAN! And Im pretty sure last sunday he conned us into thinking he was sick so he could stay home.

McEntire Family said...

These are my favorite kind of posts! Thanks for letting us have a glimpse into the the life of a kid.

Jill Leckbee said...

I love the quotes! kids are so awesome and say some of the best stuff!!! Rachel is also always asking me why she can't come to YW with me, someday!

The Aussie and the Owl said...

Ha! Those kiddos are hilarious. They say the funniest stuff :) Don't worry - I'm sure Sean's aversion to church is just a phase - your home is like a "heaven on earth" and he just doesn't see why he has to leave it on Sundays :)