Sunday, August 14, 2011

Turkey Creek Backpacking Trip

This is a little bit of catch-up.  (This was the weekend before CMT started, so I didn't get a chance to blog it when it happened.)  Arthur took Dallin on a backpacking trip up to Turkey Creek near Pagosa Springs in Colorado.  They went with our friends the Brienholts and had a really great time.  (Okay, I'm turning this  over to Arthur for blogging completion, because I wasn't even there!!!) 


Hayden is always bummed when he has to stay behind on any trip, so we let him join in on our "headin out photo".

Note to self...carrying backpacking gear for two means that your pack weighs in at 58 lbs....ouch!

Chuck and his son Charles.

I've never seen such weird clouds like this.  We all thought that since this was opening day for Harry Potter 7 part 2 that this was obviously a sign that Lord Voldemort had won the wizarding battle and was sending a sign to us mere muggles...(sorry to those non-Harry Potter fans out there who have no idea what I'm talking about)  

This was proof of our time in "the wilderness" (say like Nacho Libre for full effect)


Here's a cool waterfall on Eagle creek about 5 miles in.  If you look closely in this picture you'll see a little dude in his whitey-tighties down there by the waterfall.  Yes, Charles swam over there, and no, he did not want to swim back because it was SO cold!!!  But we managed to convince him to come back before one of the adults had to strip down too.

Fishing on Turkey Creek.  We caught one fish that we ate at dinner.  It was a brook trout that refused to die.  So Dallin and Charles nicknamed him "Invincy".  Invincy was very tasty with some oil and lemon pepper.

Leaving our campsite along the river about 4 miles in.

The turkey creek trail has some beautiful meadows...views of the surrounding mountains...
passes through plenty of Aspen and Fir trees...and even Fern forests. 

No trip to Pagosa Springs is complete without a trip to Boss Hogs for a meal.  After eating backpacking food for 3 days, this was mighty tasty.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like so much fun.

Scott and Amme said...

Oh, I miss the mountains. Beautiful. Backpacking with my Dad is a treasured memory. I'm sure it will be for Dallin as well.

Rachelle said...

I could be persuaded to go backpacking if someone else carried my gear, too! Cool clouds. . .

The Aussie and the Owl said...

I can't believe that kid swam across the cold waterfall pond! Beautiful backpacking pics! Love the clouds. Soon your boys will all be old enough to go together!

Kim Breinholt said...

AWESOME time--Thanks!