Saturday, November 05, 2011

Enchantment Feis 2011

October 29, 2011
Sheraton Hotel
Albuquerque

If you're like I was a couple months ago, you are probably wondering, "How the heck do you say Feis?"  The American pronunciation is "fesh" (but I'm sure it sounds cooler if someone from Ireland says it.)  Feis is Irish for "festival."  More specifically it is a Gaelic arts and culture festival, and even more specifically, it is primarily an Irish Dance Competition.  

Backing up a bit:  In July, I found out that one of Arthur's co-workers teaches an Irish Step Dance class.  I'd always thought it would be cool to learn that, but you never hear about Irish Step Dancing Studios.  Well, apparently there are a couple here in Albuquerque, and the one we go to is Coleman Academy, taught by two sisters who've been Irish Step-Dancing competitively for over 20 years and are very good.  

At first I only brought Daphne, and even though I would bring a book to read or something to do during her class, I always caught myself just watching and trying to memorize the steps so I could do them with Daphne when we got home.  After a few weeks, I noticed Dallin seemed interested in learning too, so I brought him to class.  He and I joined at the same time.  There weren't any other adults out there, but I wanted to learn really badly, so I asked if it would be okay if I joined the class too, or if they thought that would be weird since there aren't any other adults.  They said, of course I could join!  I am the only adult in the class, but I don't even care anymore, because I have so much fun dancing with my kids!

Okay, back to the Feis.  So once a year there is a Feis held in Albuquerque, called the Enchantment Feis.  Apparently, there are Feisanna in many states at all different times of the year, and serious dancers travel to various Feisanna to compete all over.  At our feis there were dancers from Colorado, Arizona and Utah, and I think Nevada?  Not sure on that one.  I told Dallin if they get really good, I might take them to the Feis in Denver someday.  :)  And now they are totally motivated to improve.

Dallin and Daphne both competed in four different dances, and I thought they looked so cute with their little competitor numbers.  The major bummer for me was that according to Feis regulations, there was absolutely no photography or videoing in the ballroom or they would ask you to leave.  (boo--I really wanted to video their dancing!)  Hopefully there will be another performance sometime soon that I can video.  Anyway, the pictures below are just out in the hallway after they'd finished their competitions.  

I should have had Daphne turn around so you could see her 
gold cute "shawl" on the back of her dress better.  
Next time, I guess. 
Here is Sean all dressed for his soccer game which was right after 
Dallin & Daphne finished their competition.

Here is the position they take as they get ready to begin their 2-hand Reel.  
(Isn't it just too adorable?--don't tell Dallin I said that . . .)

Daphne with some of her friends from class.

Back home with all of their metals:
Dallin placed 1st in his solo Light Jig,  and in his 2-hand and 3-hand Reel.  I should disclaim that his group was the only one in its age category for the 2 and 3-hand Reel.  But the Light Jig soloists was a big group, so I was actually kind-of surprised that he won that group.  Go Dallin!  Daphne got 2nd for her solo Reel and 5th for her Light Jig, and I think she got 2nd or 3rd for her 3-hand Reel, and there were a lot of competitors in that age-group, too.  Go Daphne!  

Anyway, I was so proud of them for getting out there and trying something new and especially for dancing in front of judges!  At one of the classes before the Feis, the teachers told the kids that they needed to be really well-prepared because sometimes performers got scared and forgot their steps when they got on stage.  Dallin told them with pride, that he and Daphne had been in FOUR PLAYS, (thank-you CMT) so they weren't likely to get stage-fright.  :)  And they didn't!   

10 comments:

Melanie said...

obsessed. I need to see some actual footage of them river dancing! I'm so proud that they won some medals! Dang your family is talented! Piano, Violin, basketball, Soccer, Gymnastics, Graffiti (Hayden), River dance, theater!! Oh my goodness is there anything your children can't do!?!?

Rachelle said...

So cool! And I love that you joined too, Sharee - something fun to do for a workout and a great way to play with the kids too.

elise said...

that is SUCH a brilliant idea! so glad you're having so much fun, and winning is always nice too :)

McEntire Family said...

FUN! I certainly wish you could have taken some video too!

Kim Breinholt said...

Congrats Dallin & Daphne. That's awesome!

Reed Family said...

Dallin & Daphne both look so good in their outfits! I hope you get some footage of them soon...even if it's just in your house! And, I think it's awesome that you do the class with them! I'm sure they absolutely love it.

Erin said...

That is great Sharee! I LOVE that you joined the class with them. What a fun way to exercise while doing something with your kids!

Brian, Natalie, Kyrie said...

Dallin and Daphne you are awesome' I need to see your dances! Sharee that's so cool that you joined the class too.

Hi I'm Lindsey! said...

How fun! So your cousin Kimball Larsen just moved into our ward and, even better, just down the street. We went there last night to get to know them better and I told them I was from ABQ, anyway we made the connection! It was so fun! They seem like a great family!

Kristine said...

fantastic!