Auditions - kind of thrilling and terrifying at the same time. I'd rather perform in front of hundreds of people than audition for 4. Every once in awhile a show will catch my eye that I'd love to be a part of. I don't audition for everything because of course, I don't have the time. But I do have a list of a handful of shows that I will DEFINITELY try out for if I ever see a community theater company put them in their season line-up.
One of those shows is 1776. I grew up watching that show every 4th of July with my family while we were waiting for it to get dark enough for fireworks. And I always dreamed of someday playing the part of "Abigail." I just love Abigail Adams--she was an AMAZING part of our American history, and I love the relationship that she and her husband John Adams shared as documented by their prolific letter writing. In my reading about her, I discovered that I'm even the same size and coloring as Abigail Adams, so not only do I have an emotional connection with Abigail Adams, I even LOOK like her. I figured that when I walked into my audition today, they would all breathe a sigh of relief that the perfect Abigail Adams had come to try-out.
And I didn't even get a call-back.
Sad for me. I guess a good rejection is healthy for me, right? Keeps me humble?
On a brighter note, the choreographer sought me out afterward and told me he hoped I'd try out for "Annie" coming up in September. I thought I'd bring Daphne down to audition, so maybe I'll try-out too . . . just for fun.
3 comments:
Awww, bummer. Good for you for putting yourself out there!
Darn! That would have been a great part for you. Let us know when Annie auditions are - that would be fun!
Unfortunately the theater is VERY political, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. You would have been an amazing Abigail!
Post a Comment