Sunday, December 08, 2013

A Child is Born

December 6 & 7, 2013
(I'm writing in January, but trying to date these catch-up posts close to when they actually happened.)

We began the month of December with our Stake's annual "A Child is Born" event.  My part in this event is the concert.  This year we did selections from "Messiah."  I prepared the choir, and handed over the conducting of the actual concert to Brother Jim Thompson, who asked me to sing a couple of the soprano solos, which I was happy to do.  (Since I've been the Stake Choir director for 8 years, I don't get to actually sing in these concerts very often.)  I began to prepare my solos in September, but couldn't practice very much because I was experiencing severe allergies that left my voice hoarse.  In October, my voice was still having trouble, and finally in November I went to see an ENT.  After scoping me they determined that there weren't any nodules, but my vocal chords were swollen--I got on some medication to reduce the swelling and the nasal drainage in the back of my throat.

I also got a priesthood blessing from Arthur.  In the blessing, he said that my voice would be fine to sing the solos and I would be pleased with my performance.  I was assured by that blessing because I think we are all our worst critic, and if I could be pleased with my performance, it would be pretty good.  I grew nervous, however, as the weeks went by with little improvement to my vocal quality, and therefore not very much practicing.

When the day of the performance arrived, I was in tears because my voice still wasn't where I'd wish it to be.  But I tried to have faith in my priesthood blessing and just prayed and prayed.  And that night when it came time for me to sing, my voice was clear and agile and I was pleased with my performance.  The second night, I was nervous because I thought my performance might be a little  disappointing in comparison with the first performance.  But the second night was even better!  And several of the choir members told me they thought so too!  I couldn't believe it.

So here's my witness that prayer works and the Priesthood power is real.  Heavenly Father gave me a voice to sing praise to His Son those two nights when I hadn't had a voice for months.  I have continued to have problems with my voice being hoarse for the rest of December and into January with sicknesses and allergies and who knows what else.  But for those two nights, he gave me an angel's voice.  And I am grateful.

Me (and Bennett) before Friday night's performance.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

I had no idea! You sang so beautifully! Thanks for sharing!

The Aussie and the Owl said...

Love your testimony Sharee! And we love your voice! So glad it all worked out for your good!

Mindy said...

You do have an angel voice, and you sounded fabulous! Thanks for sharing your testimony!