Friday, June 27, 2008

Grandma Packard

My Grandmother, Alice Earl Packard, passed away June 5th. She was amazing, and we will miss her. We were able to take our family up to Utah for the funeral and it was a really spiritually uplifting time to be together with everyone, and celebrate her life of service to the Lord and to her family. She is such a great example of a life well-lived and I came away with a renewed desire to be totally committed to our Heavenly Father. Our love and prayers go out especially to Grandpa, and my mother and her siblings who will miss her most of all.





Alice Earl Packard passed away peacefully surrounded by her husband and children on June 5, 2008.  Alice was born July 9, 1932 to Kenneth Owen EArl and Vertie Ann Leavitt Earl in Bunkerville, NV.  She married Floyd L. Packard on Feb 8, 1951 in the Idaho Falls Temple, thus beginning their eternal journey together.  Alice dedicated her life to her husband, her 14 children, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  She and her husband settled in Carlsbad, CA for 49 years where they raised all their children.  She loved her country and was influential in all 5 of her sons earning their Eagle Scout Award.  Alice loved music and passed this love on to her family.  Her compassion and determination helped her successfully raise her large family.  She possessed a beautiful smile and refreshing laugh, which always brought a twinkle to her eyes.  She was a quiet pillar of strength and supper to her husband as he served in many positions in the Church.  Together, she and her husband presided over the Florida Tallahassee Mission from 1984-1987, served as the first president and amtron of the San Diego, CA Temple from 1993-1995, and served a couples' mission to the Washington DC Visitor Center from 2001-2003.  Floyd and Alice recently moved to Highland, UT where she continued to strengthen her family.  Alice is survived by her husband of 57 years, her 14 children, 101 grandchildren, and 41 great grandchildren, and many friends.  She will be deeply missed.

2 comments:

Agnes said...

Wow, 14 children and 101 grandchildren...She seems like an amazing woman. I'm sorry about your loss. It's nice to be surrounded by family during times like these. Glad you could make the trip :)

Connie said...

I was wondering if you went up for the funeral. I absolutely loved Aunt Alice. Almost every time I went to visit my grandma, I'd walk over through her back door and chat with her in her kitchen. She was so sweet and she will be missed. I'm so glad you were able to be there with your family.