Saturday, July 25, 2009

Garden Woes

My garden has been rather pathetic this year. None of my fruit trees produced a bloomin' thing. I planted a bunch of green beans and I've only harvested a handful, Hayden is taller than my corn, the strawberries didn't produce, and my melon plants never got started. I do have a grow-box full of potato plants--not sure when to harvest those, but they seem happy enough.

Also I planted several tomato plants, one chili bush and three cilantro plants thinking maybe I could bottle some homemade salsa. Well, so far, my cilantro all died, the tomatoes have been less than prolific, and my chili plant has been going bananas! I think it kind of ironic that the one vegetable (is chili a vegetable?) that I don't know how to use (except in salsa) is the one that's going gangbusters on me. I picked five today and there are five more on the plant. It's like the giving tree-it just keeps on giving! Maybe I'll dry them and make some New Mexico Christmas ornaments.

One day, Hayden found a shiny red chili just waiting to be picked and thought he'd help me out.


This is what he thought of it:




On the upside, my basil is doing great, and I've already made a few batches of pesto with it. My family LOVES pesto with pasta.

Anybody know what to do with all that chili?

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Not real experienced with red chiles, but I'm sure there are TONS of red chile recipes here in the land of enchantment.

I do LOVE to slice jalapenos open, stuff each half with cream cheese, wrap each half in a bacon strip and bake them off in the oven. I imagine that would work with red chiles????

Jennifer said...

I'm not real experienced with chiles either...my garden has been a little funny this year too...green beens COMING OUT MY EARS! Seriously, I pick every-other day and I have enough for a Thanksgiving FEAST every time. (We've given A LOT of them away and have still had them for dinner every night for over a week...) My zuchini plant did not produce zuchini, and I've had ONE crook-neck squash...weird stuff.

You can NEVER have too much basil though, so I am glad you have had an abundance!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

those chilis are great in penne arrabiata! A little spicy marinara pasta...its my fav. italian dish still after working all those years in italian restaurants.

Anonymous said...

we also love them grilled with bell peppers, onions, and garlic for a spicier way to top fajitas and polish sausages.