Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Reminder to self

This morning, Arthur found me crying before I'd even gotten out of bed.  (well technically, I had gotten out to get Hayden dressed, but then I got back in to read my scriptures.)  At any rate, I was in bed when he found me and I could tell he was thinking, "Oh, this is NOT a good way to start the day."

I've been crying a lot this pregnancy--just about anything can set me off.  I was a mess during the Olympics, with all the tear jerker commercials and special stories about various athletes who overcame all odds . . .

Anyway, this morning I was crying because my children surprised me.  I heard them downstairs clanking around dishes and stuff, and I was impressed that they were doing their chores without being reminded.

Then Daphne came upstairs to tell me that they had a surprise for me.  I could tell she was under instructions not to tell me what the surprise was, but she couldn't help herself.  She said they brought down their laundry baskets, took out the laundry in the dryer and folded it, and moved the clothes in the washer to the dryer and started it!  They also cleared out the dishwasher, and put all the dishes away instead of putting them on the counter like they usually do.

She said, "We're doing all of the things in the song!"

"What song?"  I asked her.  So she went to the boys' room and turned it up really loud so I could hear it in my room.

It's from the album "A Woman's Heart" and it's called "Who You Are."  The part she was talking about was the verse that starts, "I know you wonder if you'll ever have a day, when the kids stay calm, the laundry's done, and the dishes are put away, and sometimes it seems like the day is spent and gone, and the question running through your mind is 'What have I gotten done?'  . . ."

Evidently, that song was on a CD that Dallin & Sean have in their room to fall asleep to.  It was playing that song when he woke up and he was inspired!  So he rallied the kids together, even had a prayer with them that they could really help their mom today and "stay calm" like it says in the song.  Then they proceeded to put the dishes away and get the laundry moving for me.  He encouraged Daphne and Sean to get dressed without me asking them.   (Those two take lots of reminders . . .)

So this morning my tears were tears of gratitude for my children; for their thoughtfulness and goodness.  It made me think that I really need to remember their goodness more often, because we certainly have plenty of times when it's easy to forget!  I've recorded this so the next time I need a reminder, I can come read about their "surprise" and remember.

10 comments:

elise said...

that is the sweetest thing i've ever heard! i'm totally crying jus thinking about it! you're a great mom to have raised such wonderful kids! wow.

McEntire Family said...

What an awesome surprise! Way to go Dallin and Daphne - you two are great!

Kristine said...

now this is wonderful...just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

seriously Sharee so precious! I cried too!!

Eric and Jewels said...

Wow! So I was reading this post out loud to Eric and I totally started crying, Eric had to finish it on his own (couldn't understand what I was saying). You have such wonderful children they truly take after you. I can remember you doing exactly the same thing Dallin did with Daphne and Sean...you'd rally us (your siblings) to "super clean" the house for our wonderful Mom :) Your a wonderful mother too and I love that your children know it! Please tell Dallin and Daphne I love them so much and am super impressed with their awesome suprise for you. Love ya Sharee!!

Meri said...

Oh wow.

1. You're doing something right, Sharee. It's not just your amazing kids. You taught them. I promise.

2. I'm finding that song and brainwashing my kids immediately.

3. Dallin is a born leader. Your family is in good hands. You can definitely handle number 5. Even if Number 5 turns out as vivacious, stubborn, creative, energetic, and darling as your others. Rest in that comforting thought. They'll take care of eachother. I know you're a great big sister, so this is paybacks for you.

Jennifer said...

You have such wonderful children! (And you know they had to learn it somewhere...they have some seriously stellar parents!!!) I, like Jewels, remembers you doing the same thing for our wonderful mother! Can you tell Dallin and the others (especially Dallin for heading it up) that their Aunt Jen is so grateful to have neices and nephews that are so wonderful to her big sister! I love you!

Anonymous said...

you just made me cry at work. your kids are so amazing Sharee. Miss you guys a ton and sending good wishes your way!

Trisha said...

Oh my goodness, what good kids...and you get credit for that. You have CLEARLY taught them well. I think your next post needs to be pointers for all of the rest of us moms :)

Rachelle said...

I know that song well and it gets me every time. You are raising some wonderful kids, Sharee - great job!