I was at the doctors office today with four of my children. (Now if that's not one of my favorite things to do, I don't know what it is.) Sean had been complaining of a sore throat, and since we'd already had one case of strep throat in our family, I figured we ought to get him checked. While we waited to be called back, I did flash cards with Daphne, Sydney colored, Sean sat and gazed longingly at the iPad, which was sitting in my purse, (figured I'd pull it out in the other, smaller, waiting room)and Hayden was being rather loud and obnoxious. He was bouncing all around making funny noises and trying to get a reaction from Sean.
One 13-year-old boy in the waiting area, (I know he was 13 because the nurse asked him how old he was when she called him back,) started snickering at Hayden's behavior. His mom, or maybe his grandma, said in a voice loud enough for me to hear across the room, "Don't laugh at him. He's being disruptive and annoying."
What she said was true. Hayden was being disruptive and annoying. He's very good at it. But what she said made me mad. It was a doctors office after all, not a library. And we'd been waiting a while. And nobody wants to be at a doctor's office anyway.
Besides, I can say those things about my son because I'm his mom. If you're not his mom, keep it to yourself.
Maybe one day, when Hayden is a delightful and non-annoying adult, we might look back and laugh at this.
But it's not funny yet.
8 comments:
amen sista!
on the plus side,
1) you made it through the dr's office with 4 kids! (always a success),
2) and maybe that other little boy is learning to encourage ghood behavior...
3) aaaaand... one more thing, if you couldn't tell if she was his mother or grandmother, you definately looked better than she did! go hot mama! ;)
Grrrr. Times like these, I always tell myself to remember so I don't repeat when I'm older and don't remember quite as well how hard it is to have kids. Hope Sean feels better soon!
I feel bad you had to take four of them with you. Please never hesitate to call and see if I can keep the un-sickies (but maybe wait until after the 12th - then I will have my life back). Love ya!
Dang, I think being a mom I would start a lot of fights with people like that. Probably a good indicator I'm not ready to be a mom. You're a great mom though and Hayden really is hilarious.
Ihate rude people. Interestingly, my little Amber is already just that judgmental. Last night at a restaurant we were at, she said, "That baby just needs to be quiet" just loud enough for the baby's family to hear her. Oh boy!
Hopefully they aren't blogging about her today. :)
Okay, so the Grandma comment cracks me up, because that was a huge shocking change moving away from Albuquerque to Idaho. All the Grandmas here look like young moms still when I'm accustomed to hanging out with many of my Albuquerque mom friends who already look like Grandmas (present company excluded, of course). I've sorted out two reasons for this: 1.) These people don't hang out in the sun 322 days of the year--only about 60. Their skin shows it. Let us all wear more sunscreen because these women look fabulous! 2.) The truth is that many of my mom friends in Albuquerque were old enough to be grandmas by the Idaho Falls standard. And the IF Grandmas are still young enough to be mamas (and many have big families with young kids at home still, so they are both). I rarely receive comments about being too young to have a 14 year old anymore because it's just normal! I'm starting to adjust, but in the beginning I'd meet beautiful women and they'd tell me about their grandchildren and I'd gawk and make stupid comments. Then I'd go home and look in the mirror and vow to wear sunscreen and eat antioxidants.
You understand, having never lived in a predominantly LDS landscape, this is all such an anomaly to me.
P.S. Your blog is a delight, Sharee!
Did you say anything to her!?!?!?!? I would have given that woman a peice of my mind to feast upon...enough so that she'd be feasting (and fuming) for a while. What a rude lady. I'm ticked for you. I hope it is funny in the future, cuz it's not to me either right now.
Post a Comment