Playing games on my ipad together, Hayden gave me this advice: Try not to die, Mom.
Sean: We missed the cleaning hymn! (aka, the closing hymn. What he meant was, he was so occupied with his coloring, that he forgot to clean up all his stuff during the closing hymn, so he could dash out to primary as soon as the "amen" on the closing prayer was said.)
Dallin: Hayden, good job! You win the prize for not being the naughtiest. I thought you were but it's actually Sydney.
Daphne: Mom! Hayden's whining is giving me a headache and it's making me feel like I'm gonna explode.
Dallin: Daphne, that's how Mom feels every day.
Hayden (regarding Blues Clues): I like "Steve" more than "Joe" because "Joe's" eyebrows bother Mom. (I guess I need to be more careful about what judgements I pass on characters in the shows my kids watch . . .)
Daphne: But Mom, what if you're wrong?
Hayden: Mom's never wrong. Right, Mom?
Sean: The waffles are burning, get them out!
Daphne: I'll get them in a minute. They aren't burning. When they pop up they are stabilized. . . . I don't even know what I just said.
Arthur: Maybe I should get a new job.
Daphne: Yeah! Get a job at Disneyland or Hawaii!!!
Sean: Sydney, that little rascal!
Me: I don't really know. I think he's just the guy they put on all their boxes because he's a Quaker.
Dallin: What's a quaker?
Me: It's a kind of religion, and they used to wear plain clothes, like that hat he's wearing. (and maybe they still do wear plain clothes . . . I have no idea.)
Daphne: Oh, well I just thought he was the guy who discovered oatmeal.
Incidentally, this sparked some curiosity in me about the Quaker Oats Guy. Who is he? And why is on a cereal box? So I googled it, and learned that back in 1877, one of the partners of Quaker Mill chose the symbol of a Quaker after reading about them in an encyclopedia. He admired the qualities Quakers tried to embody--integrity, honesty, and purity--and decided a Quaker would be a good identity for his oats. (And in case you're wondering, I learned all this from "The Straight Dope--fighting ignorance since 1973.")
Hayden: Can I have thome of that crathy (crazy) crunchy bread? (those would be croutons)
Sean: I'm very good at forgetting.
5 comments:
I love kids! Brynna is just starting to say a few things - mostly just copying what we say - but a few things she'll offer up on her own. I should get the "These are the days of our lives" section of my blog going again so I don't forget all the cute things the kids say and do. . .
Haha! Perfect, your kids are hilarious!
Lol! Those kiddos. I'm sure Hayden is somewhat grateful Sydney is inheriting the naughty label. And, I hope he NEVER loses his lisp. At least not for another year or two. ;)
I'm pretty sure the Quaker guy is William Penn, who founded Pennsylvania and was one of the first Quakers.
-Melanie
Post a Comment