Monday, September 15, 2014

Some of September

Birthdays:  Daphne and Sean have birthdays five days apart.  Had I known they'd both want the exact same cake, maybe we would have just celebrated both on the same day, and save us all some calories.   darned delicious Texas sheet cake.

Daphne, 11 


and Sean, 9


Sean earned his Wolf badge!  
He had barely anything done when summer started, so he and I worked on it a little bit everyday to crank that puppy out.  

I think this is the first time I can say that I really deserve that pin he's giving me right there.  It took a lot of prodding and reminding and "Sean get over here we're working on your Wolf!"



Dollar Day at the NM State Fair
Since admission was only $1, and kids under 5 are free, we did the State Fair for our preschool field trip.  The McDonald's farm activity is always a favorite of the littles.




And since it was dollar day, we went back that night for Family Home Evening.
We got Deep Fried Green Chile Cheese Curds, Green Chile Cheesy Fries and a funnel cake to share.  Hayden was pretty annoyed that we kept getting all that green chile, but HELLO!  this is the New Mexico State Fair.  I don't care if it's burning your mouth, you will EAT that green chile!

Since it was raining, there wasn't a lot to do.  We found a few animals to satisfy a few of the kids who really love animals. (daphne).



And then it was dark, and we just decided to call it a night.

And since we didn't eat enough junk food at the fair, we had ice cream cones at home.
Our experience at the fair this year was kinda. . . meh.  Could have been the rain, could have been that while we were waiting for Arthur to buy our admission tickets I found out that Daphne was the only one who actually wanted to go.  But we made the best of it and saw what there was to see, and since it was dollar day I didn't feel like it was a total bust.   But maybe next year, just to mix it up, we'll try the mutton bustin'.   That looked pretty fun/ny.


Dress Like a Pirate for Free Donuts!
Krispy Kreme donuts celebrates "Talk Like a Pirate Day."  If you go in and talk like a pirate, you get a free donut.  However, if you go in dressed like a pirate, you get a whole dozen for free.  So we met with a few other pirate/donut loving friends and went down to our local Krispy Kreme.



You might notice Sean is not pictured.  That is because a box of free donuts was not enough to entice Sean to go to the effort of getting dressed as a pirate.  Seems like a pretty fair trade to me, but  everybody's different, right?  Typical Sean.  





Sydney with her favorite swim teacher, Bekah.

We had 4 pirates in our family.  In case you are fuzzy on your math, that equals 48 donuts.  
Just for future reference, no family should ever consume 48 donuts in less than 24 hours. 
It makes you lethargic.


Planting Pansies
I never got my summer annuals into the front planter this year, so I made sure I got right on top of the fall pansies.  We'd just been waiting for someone to advertise their pansies going on sale, so when Osuna Nursery had their "Pansy-monium" sale, we went right down to pick up a couple of flats.
They will get pretty big before it's too cold for them to grow anymore, and come spring they'll be stunning with our tulips and daffodils.  I love this time of year.





1 comment:

Brian, Natalie, Kyrie said...

Happy birthday to Daphne and Sean! Lovin that Star Wars Lego set! Also wish we had a crispy cream close by to dress up like pirates and get some yummy free doughnuts 😊 you're pansies are beautiful, in unfortunately I have a member of the family who will not be named ( is tarts with J and ends with ax) who like to eat flowers. What a pig right? I will live vicariously through you and admire your beautiful pansies!