Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

Here are some pics of the kids hunting for eggs when we got home from church. Good thing the Easter bunny is so flexible and can come when it's convenient. :) 




Hayden totally got it this year.  He was in the egg-hunting zone, and was a pro at finding those eggs, putting them in the basket, and searching for more.  (Sometimes, the little ones will find one egg, and sit down to enjoy the contents, while the older kids run around getting all rest!  Our older kids were pretty good about leaving the obvious spoils for the younger ones.)



We tried something new this year that I thought helped us focus on the true meaning of this special day.  Each day on the week before Easter, we used a picture from our Gospel Art Kit to tell about an event in Jesus' last week. Each day we hung up the picture, and now the kids know the stories in each of those pictures.  Monday, we talked about the Triumphal Entry, and on paper palm leaves, wrote ways we can welcome Christ into our lives.  Tuesday, we talked about Jesus washing his disciples' feet, and what we can do to give service. Wednesday was the last supper, and we ate foods for dinner that may have been eaten in Jerusalem in Jesus' time.  (I'm trying some new recipes next year.  Daphne said this regarding the lentil soup:  "Mom, it looks like throw-up, but it's VERY good for our bodies!") Thursday we talked about Christ's atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane, and read the story, "He Took My Lickin'"  Friday we talked about the Crucifixion, Saturday, the Tomb, and Sunday, the Glorious Resurrection.  

I am so grateful for our Savior, the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, even Jesus Christ, and for his infinite atonement.  I am grateful for my knowledge that He Lives!  And because He lives, we too shall live.

If you haven't seen it yet, click on the link below to see this beautiful video presentation narrated by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's with excerpts from his most recent conference talk entitled, "None Were With Him."  (For those not of the Mormon Faith, Jeffrey R. Holland is one of the 12 living apostles of Jesus Christ.) It's about 4 minutes long, and worth watching.  


5 comments:

Rachelle said...

What a great way to teach the kids! I think we'll try that next year . . . The kids look so cute!

Julie Smith said...

Oh my goodness, Sharee, I didn't even have time to do family home evening this week. You really know how to make a girl feel guilty.:)

Reed Family said...

Good job on emphasizing the true meaning of Easter! I didn't get my act together to do the idea you sent me...we just did that special FHE and Brandon did a devotional with the kids on Sunday. Next year...I will do better. I may have to steal your idea of putting a link to Elder Holland's comments when I do my Easter post. ;)

Reed Family said...

p.s. DALLIN IS WEARING GLASSES! He looks so cute! (All the kids looks cute...Daphne's dress is GoRgEoUs!!!)

Mindy said...

What a great idea! I may have to steal your idea for next year! What a great Mom!