After the Caverns, we had dinner at Denny's, and then drove three hours to Alamogordo where we stayed the night. The kids' favorite thing about staying in a hotel is jumping from one bed to the other. Thank goodness we were on a ground floor. I would be so annoyed if I were staying in a room underneath ours. Saturday turned out to be a very blustery day with scattered thunderstorms, but we headed out to White Sands anyway.

Daphne & Hayden all dressed and ready to go play at White Sands.

Arthur and the kids.
It was so windy, it was really hard to get everyone looking at the camera. Poor Hayden who was lowest to the ground probably got the most sand in his eyes.

Arthur took some really cool pictures of the dunes.

Hayden & a survivor plant. It's amazing to me that anything can grow out there at all. The wind can move those dunes so fast it's miraculous that anything takes root.

The dunes are so much fun to play on. We sledded down them, rolled down them, ran down them, jumped down them, slid down them, crawled up them . . . (There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad . . . name the movie.)

Me & Daph

Okay, the wind was so strong, it was holding that sled on Arthur's backside.

We had a blast, but you can only take so much sand in your eyes before you start to melt down. We'll have to go again sometime when a storm is not predicted, so we can play longer.

Before heading home, we drove through the International Space Museum parking lot. We were too cheap to go inside, but there was plenty outside to excite the nerds in the family. :) (love you Arthur.)

Also, we'd intended to take the kids in this toy train museum. I guess they had lots of toy and model trains displayed, and they also have a little train ride for the kids. Admission plus a train ride is $6 each. But because of the weather they weren't running the train, (the coolest thing at the museum!) so we took a picture by the little red caboose and headed for home. The kids were easily appeased with a Sonic Wacky Pack (which is way better than a McDonald's Happy Meal--better food, better toys, & better price). And when we got home, three hours later, we began the big de-sand-ification project.
(But I could swear I've still got a little piece of that gypsum sand stuck in my eye.)
6 comments:
Bummer you guys missed the train! We went to the Toy Train Museum on our first trip to Alamagordo years ago. My favorite part was the signs on the walls - Spitting Prohibited, etc. Sorry about the winds; we had the same problem when we were there a week ago!
Wow! That sand really is WHITE! I love the pic of all the kids feet! That would be so cute in your bathroom with the ocean theme! (if youstill have it decorated that way...) Glad you guys had a fun trip!
Cool... I didn't know about the train museum. John would LOVE it. Who knows when we will head down to White Sands, but we'll make sure to put the other fun stuff on the list!
looks like SO much fun and the photos are beautiful! Sharee, don't try to pass all the nerd-dom in your family on to Arthur... I am pretty sure you, as well as I, have a bit of nerdiness in our blood too!
How fun! You and Arthur are so good at taking your family on fun outings. I think the next time you go to the dunes you should take a pair of goggles for everyone that way your eyes will be protected (sometimes I wear goggles when I cut onions but only if its a particularly strong onion ;)Love you guys!
In response to Wad, you're right, I am a nerd at heart. After all, I can quote Star Wars with the best of them. But I do like to pin most of the nerdiness on Arthur. After all, he even has a security clearance badge that certifies his nerdiness. :) And Julianne, that is a brilliant idea about the goggles. I could have stayed out there all day with a pair of goggle! Love you girls!
Post a Comment