Thursday, September 03, 2009

Pin-Wheel Cookie Recipe



Here is the yummy recipe for the pin-wheel cookies me and Sean made.
I got it from a "Taste of Home" Magazine. ( I hope it's okay for me to post it?)

Pin-wheel Cookies

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
3/4 c butter, softened
1 egg, separated
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2/3 c colored sugars
30 milk chocolate M&M's

In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter & egg yolk until smooth. Combine flour and baking powder; beat into cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. (I skipped this step and they still turned out fine.)

Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 15 in. X 9 in. rectangle. With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut dough into 3 in. squares. Place 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. (*I didn't get out the measuring tape, here; approximation works great for me!)

Beat egg white until frothy; brush over squares. Sprinkle with colored sugars. Cut through the dough from each corner of a square to within 1/2 in. of the center. Fold alternating points into the center to form a windmill; pinch gently at center to seal. Press an M&M into each center.

Bake at 350 for 9-12 minutes or until set. (Cookies will not brown). Remove immediately to wire racks to cool. They are so tasty!


I made some more for Daphne to share with her class for her birthday, and this time Hayden was my "helper." His idea of helping is putting handfuls of flour on the table and spreading it around for me, pouring green sprinkles on a cookie that was already sprinkled with pink, and eating the M&M centers.


Can't get much more helpful than that.

6 comments:

Connie said...

Wow those cookies look beautiful! I'm not sure I have the patience to make those!

Erin said...

Awesome Sharee! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you put this recipe on here! I really want to do these with the kids...or maybe without and then just let them enjoy eating them...they have a similar concept to Hayden's as far as "helping" goes. Love you guys!
Jenny

Sarah said...

Gotta love the "help!"

Rachelle said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, Sharee! We made these yesterday, and they were yummy - but I was surprised that there was no sugar in the dough itself. You know, if you skip the colored sugars, they'd also make yummy, fluffy dinner rolls!

The Aussie and the Owl said...

What a good little helper that Hayden is! All that enthusiasm :) Cookies look delicious.