Our little tadpoles have graduated. They have grown their two front legs, and they are the cutest little things, about as big as your finger-tip. We made a new habitat for them with dirt they could practice hopping on and Arthur was really nervous about them hopping out. But toads only do little hops as opposed to frogs big hops, so I wasn't too worried, especially since these brand new baby toads were not very good at hopping. It was so endearing watching them try and try to hop around on their new legs.
Isn't he cute?
Well Sunday morning, I only saw one toad in the habitat. Hmmm . . . I didn't say anything to Arthur because I knew he wouldn't like that one bit. I looked all over the container thinking maybe it got stuck under a rock or something, but it was just not in there! I was looking all over the counters, behind the kleenex, and knife block, under the bread basket, and found nothing. We had to leave for church, so hopefully it would resurface by the time we got back. When we got home, Dallin told me that he was fasting to find the little toad. I had another look around the counter, when I saw something small out of the corner of my eye. He had survived a big long hop down into the kitchen sink and had been hiding under a washcloth! It's kind of miraculous that he didn't hop right down the drain, because he would have fit even on the side with the strainer thing.
So after realizing that they had become rather proficient hoppers, it was time to move them outside to fend for themselves in the great outdoors! It sure was fascinating watching them change! I hope we'll see them around the garden sometime.
4 comments:
Good Job! You are much better frog raisers than we are!
Cute!
Toads are so fun! And so good for the garden - we had a few in there and they really went after the pesky slugs.
That is SOOO COOL! I'm sure your kids had as much fun as you did watching them change from tadpoles to toads!
Post a Comment