Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Unfortunate Preschool Field Trip



She hated it.  She didn't even get out on the roller rink before she'd fallen multiple times.  Hard. On her bum.  I even tried bribing her with an ice cream cone if she would go out and join the class.  (There was a roller skating class for small beginners that day).  Now, I really don't care if she knows how to roller skate.  I just want her to not be afraid to try new and difficult things.  But finally after 10 minutes of this, I figured we'd find other opportunities for her to go outside of her comfort zone.  I said, "It's fine Sydney, you don't have to skate.  We will put the skates away and run some errands."

"And get an ice-cream cone?" she asked tearfully.

"No, we're not getting an ice-cream cone because you wouldn't go out on the rink."

Out came a fresh, hot batch of tears and wailing of, "But I really want an ice cream cone!"  I told her the conditions of the ice cream cone were going out to the class on the rink without crying.  She thought it through and decided she wanted to try.  So we put the skates back on, and dried her tears and she very tentatively made her way on the rink.  She crawled part of the way, and held a teacher's hand part of the way.  And she made it to the middle of the rink, and then turned around and walked/crawled back off.  She said, "I did it!  Now can I have an ice-cream cone?"  Well, I guess she met the requirements.  She went out on the rink to the class.  I had never specified how much time.  So she earned her ice-cream cone after all.

I was so busy watching her I forgot to take a picture of her actually on the rink. So this is her after she was done and had earned her ice-cream cone.


After we got back in the car, (at 10:30 a.m.) she said, "Whew!  It's been a long day.  Can we get Chick-Fil-A for lunch?"

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I like the way Sydney thinks!! And there are days when I'm ready to hit the sack, and it's only 6 PM or something ridiculous like that. I'll turn to Doug and say, "It's not too early to go to sleep, right?" I never do get to go to sleep, but I sure wish I could!

So great seeing you Friday night!

The Aussie and the Owl said...

Aw poor Sydney. Roller skating can be scary - why does the floor have to be so hard? Glad she gave it a go and earned her ice cream!