Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Five Star Champions!

March 28, 2014
NM Showfest

I think it's safe to say that the highlight of Dallin's 6th grade year has been his participation in "Five Star," Eisenhower Middle School's varsity show choir.  They are directed by the fabulous Eisenhower choir teacher, Mr. Prior.  They practice most days before school starts and have been preparing their show "School of Rock" almost all year for competition.  

Last week they went on tour to CA and competed in a Regional Competition in Los Alamitos where they won 1st place.  This past weekend, they competed in the State Show Choir competition and won that too.  (Since there were only 2 middle school competing, it wasn't as impressive as the CA win, but the other middle school was very good too, so it wasn't a shoo-in.  

Anyway, here are some pictures from their performance this past weekend.  Their show has 5 songs.  They start as nerds singing "ABC" (by the Jackson 5) and "Hip to be Square" (my favorite of their songs). Then they sing this ballad that their choir teacher Mr. Prior arranged.  It is 4-6 parts a cappella, and they totally killed it this weekend.  It was the best I'd heard them sing it.   In the ballad they talk about wanting to change and become somebody different than who they are.  (Yes, it's a little Grease-ish.)  Then they sing "Still Rock-n-Roll to Me"  and their costume change happens in the middle of that song.  They turn into rock stars and end with a medley of "We don't need no education/We will Rock You/School's out for Summer."  Dallin is wearing a black leather studded vest and I always think--"Boy I sure love those nerd songs!"  :)









Five-Star won best choreography, best male solo, best song (for the ballad) and 1st place in the middle school division.  I'm so glad Dallin has had this experience this year--he's made a lot of good friends, gained a lot of confidence and has had such a great time!  Yahoo for Five-Star!

Here is a link to their performance in Los Alamitos, CA

2 comments:

Eric and Jewels said...

Dallin is such a STUD!! The kids and I sure enjoyed watching his performance :) I'm so glad he got to be a part of such a fun group! Way to go Dallin you handsome dude you! We love you and congrats on your choral group getting 1st place!

The Aussie and the Owl said...

Dallin! That is so cool! It looks like you had such a fun group to perform with. Way to be!