Thursday, October 23, 2008

You Are So Beautiful To Me . . .

1. Dishwasher update
Before:


After:
"You are so Beautiful to me!
Can't you see? You're everything I've hoped for!
You're everything I need.
You are so beautiful to me!"
~Joe Cocker

Ode to a Dishwasher
By Sharee Gariety
(To be sung to the tune of "Bicycle Race" by Queen)

Dish-washer!
Dish-washer!
Dish-washer!
I love to load my dishwasher,
I love to load it up,
I love to load my dishwasher,
And fill the top rack with our cups!

And that's why I'm not a poet. However, my heart is so full of joy whenever I look upon my beautiful new dishwasher, I simply had to sing its praise somehow. I hope I never take that blessed machine for granted again. I really do love loading and unloading my dishwasher--so much, that I haven't even made Dallin & Daphne resume responsibility for that chore yet.


2. Here is Hayden. He loves the music class I do each week that is actually geared toward 2 & 3 year olds. Sean frequently boycotts the class, but Hayden shakes the instruments and bounces up and down while we sing songs. It's really cute.



3. Dallin lost another tooth. This one was unique because he lost it at recess playing "tackle football." He told me, his friends Bobby and Jacob both tackled him and that's when he felt his tooth floating around in his mouth. Unfortunately, it popped out and for all their searching, they couldn't find it. Thankfully, the nurse sent home this special note indicating that he'd lost a tooth on the playground, which he put under his pillow in lieu of his tooth. The tooth-fairy mercifully accepted such note as adequate proof, and he was rewarded with a dollar.



4. Venting: So I have been asked to help the youth with a Christmas song for them to sing in Sacrament meeting. I picked this great arrangement of "With Wond'ring Awe" that I think they will have a lot of fun with once they learn it. Well, last night was our first rehearsal (I get 20 minutes at the beginning of YM/YW) and since Arthur is out of town, I got coats on everybody, loaded up all the kids and drug them all down to the church with me to hang out while we rehearsed. Kind of a pain, but that's what a good person I am. ;)

Well, when I got home, I was going through and stapling the music so it would be easier to use for next rehearsal, and I come across this on the back of one of my pieces of music:

In case you can't read it, it says: "This is so boring."

I'm not gonna lie; it hurt my feelings, because I put thought into choosing a song I thought they'd enjoy, and I try to keep things moving and fun for the youth. Also it was a sacrifice for me to get my children over to the church when I'd rather have been putting them in bed. So it was kind-of a slap in the face.

Well then I got angry. (Robert: "Oh I'm angry." Giselle: "Angry. . ." Robert:"Angry, yes, have you ever heard of it?" Giselle, "Oh yes, I have heard of it." Robert "It's a very unpleasant emotion." . . . name the movie.) So I'm angry because it's my music. I bought and paid for it, and I don't care if you are bored, write on your own stupid piece of paper.

So now that I've gotten that off my chest, I am giving myself the advise I know my mom would give me if were here:

"Consider the source."

It's probably an insecure youth who was actually having the time of his life, but would never admit it because he wants to look cool for his friends. :) Alright maybe he wasn't having the time of his life, but he probably is insecure . . . (and thoughtless, and ungrateful, but we'll just go with insecure for now.) And I'll admit I often feel insecure myself. Case in point--this probably wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't feel so vulnerable myself, right? So if you've read this far, it would really help my self esteem if you could all leave comments about how awesome I am and how you would love it if I was teaching you a song to sing in sacrament meeting, and how if you were rich, you'd send me on a cruise to Tahiti or something along those lines. :)

14 comments:

The Aussie and the Owl said...

What a bright and shiny new dishwasher!! We are so excited for you and have been checking your blog day and night for a glimpse of the incredible new appliance.

That music class seems like fun. I can play the spoons :) - maybe we can have some sort of family ho-down next month?

I can't believe Dallin is losing his teeth already! Only big boys lose teeth - not little Dallin. I guess this means his really is growing up...and we are all getting older too - bummer. :)

As for the music - trust me Mike and I were both in the YM/YW programs for years and teenagers don't like anything. You could have been treating them to most amazing musical experience of their young lives but they wouldn't know how to appreciate it. I think the raging hormones block the pathways in the brain that should be helping them to be civil and appreciative. Teenagers put the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished" into use. Trust me, it is not you - it is them. And I know someone who truly understands and appreciates all you do - you know Him too. We love ya Sharee.

Rachelle said...

ha ha ha!! I LOVE you Sharee!!! You are thoughtful and considerate and the opposite of lazy! You are fun and active and giving. You are talented and friendly and uplifting. And I'm gonna sit on the punk that hurt your feelings! (and the movie is Enchanted, of course!)

Pam said...

Oh my... :) I LOVE this post for so many reasons! I feel very similarly about my dishwasher, just so ya know.

And I think you are awesome, and thoughtful, and amazing, and nice, and friendly, and beautiful (inside and out), and if I could afford to I would send you on a EUROPEAN Cruise (but I would insist on joining you and us bringing our husbands...). So there. Punk kids. I agree with Amber- most teenagers have lost the ability to feel much of anything besides hostility, boredom, and hunger. Don't let them get to you. Maybe you can subtly comment at the next practice that if someone has feelings about the song that are less than ideal, they ought to write it on their own paper, hand, and/or cell phones. BUT- if someone wanted to leave positive feedback, you will provide the pens! :)

Keep your head up, and have fun with you dishwasher!

Melissa said...

So funny Sharee. I'm glad you could vent a little. Believe me, Chip is always coming home from scouts "venting". You are awesome for even going and taking all four kids with you. I think I would have passed.

Anonymous said...

Sharee!! i love you so much :) and i would love you to teach me a song for sacrament meeting =D. and if that was a teenager they need a life if all they can think of to write is "this is so boring" instead of "this is so AWESOME!! im learning to sing from SHAREE GARIETY!! HALLELUIA!" but dont let that stinky comment get to you cuz youre wonderful!
and congrats on your dishwasher!!

Vigoren Family said...

Sharee,

I'm amazed at your knowledge of lines. I think the neurons in that part of my brain have never worked! I think you should give that paper to the Bishop, bear your testimony about your lack of testimony of ungrateful teenagers, then go on a Tahitian cruise.

I do think you're awesome; so take that self-esteem booster and have fun! If you ever want to leave your kids with me, my kids would be up for the party.

Anonymous said...

What a ridiculously low life of a young man or young woman...teens these days...well, just some I guess. But I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for you to teach me a song...seriously, I'm not just saying that because of your sad experience. You are super talented and I need all the help I can get!

And, just for the record, your ode to your new dishwasher was exceptionally clever and witty. I wish I were more like you!

And just so you know, if I were in your ward, I would track down that loser and "give him a piece of my mind to feast upon, and I bet he would choke on it!" (name that movie...the one you quoted was ENCHANTED...just watched it yesterday!)

LOVE YOU TONS

Reed Family said...

So, that last comment was actually me...Jenny. Sorry, I forgot to change the user.

Scott and Amme said...

You really are awesome. How good of you to teach those disrespectful, ungrateful youth. Sorry, I will try not to get you started again. Happy new dishwasher!

Sarah said...

Ooohh! That paper makes me so mad! Scott told me how well you did and how good you are at interacting with the youth...he's not going to be happy when he reads this post.

Anonymous said...

oh HECK NO! that thoughtless rude bratt did NOT just write that on your music sheet, seriously, good thing I wasnt teaching!! I would have gave that kid some tongue lashin, as well as some physical lashin! grrrr.
but you are so right that kid is totally insecure, he probably hates his life....I know it was a boy too, becuase it looks like a 5 year olds hand writing.
I do NOT like teenagers.
I didnt even like myself when I was a teenager now that I think about it.
also you are amazing, I'm not just saying that becuase you asked everyone too, but I truly mean it, seriously I would love to have you has my youth choir director!
YOU ROCK MY WORLD!!

Anonymous said...

sharee I just want to let you know I have somthing special for you on my blog.
LOVE YOU!

Brian, Natalie, Kyrie said...

congrats on the new dishwasher! Wow, I love it when lost souls deface my property. I am sorry about that. I would have been mad, and hurt, but mostly mad. I love you and know you are an amazing person. I think you should tear up that peice of paper, light it on fire, then throw it in the toilet:) Good times!

Anonymous said...

I would GO on the cruise to Tahiti WITH you even! (I'm such a great friend ;) your dishwasher is beautful, but what will i do now to help out when i come for a visit?!?! I HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY A MACHINE! oh and one last thing... catch the little rugrat who wrote on your music and send him out to california to visit Aunt WIndy...she'll take care of HIM! I promise I have much more boring things for him to do than singing! love you miss you and really enjoyed this blog!