Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

It worked out perfectly to have Valentine's Day on a Saturday this year because I did an awesome Valentine's breakfast for my family. My mom started doing a special Valentine breakfast when I was in Jr. High, I think. I'm not positive on the timing, but I do remember that I had already formed the opinion that Valentine's Day might have been one of the stupidest holidays I could think of. I got so annoyed with the girls at school who's "boyfriends" brought them presents or whatever. I was partly jealous that no boys liked me, and partly annoyed that anybody in Jr. High had "boyfriends." Pah-lease.

Anyway, my mom changed my outlook on Valentine's day when she came up with the idea of having a Valentine's Breakfast. I remember she made special heart-shaped place mats, set the table with nice dishes, and I think we had heart-shaped french toast with strawberries and whipped cream. She also made each of us a Valentine telling us she loved us and put it by our place at the table.  I went to school that day feeling loved instead of like a reject.  

So this is a tradition that is near and dear to my heart.  I made french toast with raspberry/chocolate/cream cheese.  Very decadent, but not a hit with the kids.  (Guess I'll stick with traditional next year.)   I also did a yummy Amish breakfast casserole, that I cut into heart shapes.  It was soooo tasty!  And we had strawberry smoothies.  My family loved it, which made all the work worth it.   




Hayden pulling down the decorations--nothing better than that.




I just love these guys!!!  
My honey and I were still in our jammies, so lucky for you, no pics of us. 
But I'd just like to say that 
I LOVE YOU ARTHUR!!!

Happy Valentine's Day.

5 comments:

Brian, Natalie, Kyrie said...

So cute! You are such a good mom! I love the decorations! Thank you for the valentines. Mine are going to be a little late. The Evans and Stone families are quite large and making valentines for over forty people has proved to be a challenge especially with my helper Kyrie. Love you guys.

McEntire Family said...

What a way fun tradition! Kirra was wondering what all the balloons are your house were for. You are awesome!

Reed Family said...

SOOO CUTE! I love the way you wrapped up their valentine candy...at first I thought you got them all flowers! It's true...all the work is totally worth it when your family feels special and loved due to all your efforts. Love you guys!

Meri said...

Perfect! I especially like the handprint valentines. I'm going to copy.

Anonymous said...

will you adopt me?