I was told it wouldn't be a very big deal--they do these all the time, they don't even put you to sleep, and I'd be able to drive myself home. What they meant is it isn't a very big deal TO THEM!
On Friday I went in for surgery at Dr. Williams, the Peridontist. I had a frenectomy and a gum tissue graft because my frenem (frenom? frenam? however you spell that--Jenny & Brian could tell me) was pulling down the gum tissue around one of my lower front teeth. They gave me some nitrous oxide to breathe and numbed the area to be operated on. It is the weirdest feeling laying under the knife, being able to see the cutting motions, and blood on the latex gloves and be okay with it. (Thanks to the nitrous oxide.) But the happy feeling and the numbing medication wore off before I even got home and my mouth was throbbing! I couldn't wait to take some of my pain killers that make you very drowsy.
So here's the deal with a frenectomy--they don't just snip the frenom. They cut all along the bottom inside of your lip and stitch it up. I'd post a picture, but I can't even extend my lip out far enough to look at it myself. Plus it would probably gross you out. It's a big pain. Eating is a pain, talking is a pain, and smiling is a pain. And those are three of my FAVORITE THINGS!
My advice to any of you out there who are contemplating a frenectomy is this: Make sure you really need one before getting one of these things done. I'm wondering if a receding gum line wouldn't have been so bad . . .
6 comments:
OOOh Sharee, I'm so sorry. I hope it gets better really quick!
Sharee! How could you not tell your faithful visiting teacher? I will call you tomorrow and we will arrange for your spoiling.
Yuck! I had gum tissue replaced in the bottom of my mouth like 9 years ago, but they didn't cut my rogue frenam (I don't know how to spell it either). Not fun!
those mouth doctors...they never really tell you how painful its gonna be. shame on them!
Ouch, and I am sure it doesnt make it any easier when you have kids to take care of. Im sorry.
How could I forget to ask about that when I talked to you on the phone today! I really hope you're doing better. And just FYI it's "frenum", but that doesn't change the pain you're experiencing! Love you!
Post a Comment