The kids had Friday off from school for Fall Break, so Arthur planned a fun hike for us at a canyon called 4th of July. When we got there, I realized that they must have named it because of the bright fall colors that look like fire. It was still really beautiful even though we missed the peak, and lots of the colors had already fallen to the ground. We loved hiking through the crunchy leaves and spotting the bright spots on the trees that hadn't fallen yet.
The kids had a fun Halloween party to go to in the morning, we headed out to the canyon after lunch for an afternoon hike. It took us about 90 minutes to get out there, but the drive was very scenic, and the little boys napped on the way. I didn't know how many different colors oak trees can turn. We saw oaks in shades of yellow, gold, bronze, copper, and brown. But we didn't see any red maples until we got to our destination.
Hiking is one of my favorite things to do with our family. The kids are getting really good not complaining, and just having a fun time. We hiked for 2.3 miles round trip. The kids collected leaves, and were delighted with the "fuzzy" backside of the red maples leaves. Daphne made up a song to sing as she collected leaves, the lyrics consisting entirely of the word, "FUZZY!"
By coincidence, we met some friends from our old ward on the trail. So we asked them to take a picture of all of us by one of the few maples still dressed in red.
Arthur planned our dinner and everything. We brought up the coleman stove, and heated up some beef and vegetable stew, and ate it with homemade wheat bread and honey.
And I think this is the point where the kids got the camera. They just pass it around and go crazy taking pictures. I have to say, I actually like a lot of their pictures. I guess it's in the genes--after all, their Grandpa Gariety was a photographer.
Please enjoy the photography of Dallin, Daphne & Sean.
Happy Autumn!
5 comments:
How fun! You have some great scrapbooking to do. I love fall colors! Your family is so cute!
Fun! We had thought about doing that this weekend too - but alas we didn't get to do anything we wanted because Kirra is sick. Kellie said they passed you guys - they went up to see the leaves. Here's some info for next year from the National Forest Service "Fall Colors Hotline" call it - NM is option #3 so you hit the peak of the beautiful leaves.
1-800-354-4595
so stinkin cute! I love you guys!
Hey the kids photography was NOT bad at all!! you should get them cameras for christmas or something, encourage that talent!!!
What fun! I love that you guys even did dinner out there. I need to work on my outdoor skills...we miss and love you guys!
HOW FUN! I miss the changing leaves of Utah and Washington so much. California is just no good for Fall. The kids look like they had a blast. Great memories Sharee.
Post a Comment