Balloon Fiesta 2009
One of my favorite things about Albuquerque is the annual Balloon Fiesta--the largest ballooning event, and the most photographed event, in the world. I love that the name of the fiesta this year was "Mass Happiness" because it's hard to feel anything else when you're out there on the field as the sun peaks over the Sandia Mountains illuminating all the bright colors and shapes as they float upward. For a crowd of people who have gotten up before the sun and endured the traffic trying to get into the park, you won't find a happier bunch of early-risers, and all with their cameras pointed toward the sky. It's just so fun.
Here are pictures from our visit to the Saturday morning Mass Ascension.
The balloon being inflated here is named "Northern Lights" and comes from Canada, and the kids even got a collectors card from the pilot.
This balloon is called Firefly, and with the flames going, I think it looks like stained glass.
Arthur couldn't resist this shot. The moon framed by two balloons.
The ever-popular Darth Vader Balloon from Brazil. (It, along with several other special-shape balloons got stuck for DAYS at customs in China and missed the first weekend of the Fiesta. I bet they won't be going back to China any time soon.)
We ran into our good friends, the Schmutz's at the Fiesta. Here are Bobby & Dallin laughing at something hilarious. I always think it's miraculous when we run into people we know there because there are just so many people!
Hayden taking a bite out of a tasty breakfast burrito. Breakfast burritos, hot chocolate and an occasional funnel cake are all just part of the experience. And after freezing our buns off out there, the hot chocolate and green chili sure do warm you up. Gotta love it.
We love to share this event with friends and family, so mark your calendars for the 2010 Balloon Fiesta. It's always the first 2 weekends in October, so you have 365 days to plan your "Land of Enchantment Get-Away" and you won't find better priced lodging than our house! Come visit next year and experience "mass happiness" for yourself!!!
(I don't think I can be any more obvious than that.)
6 comments:
Wow, I really want to go to that. Looks like tons of fun! Lovin the darthvader balloon. That is intense.
okay sharee. you might just have yourself a deal! Be prepared to be invaded!
Every year when you post these pics, I get so HAPPY! That is seriously amazing. I love to see all the pics you guys take...and I must agree with Natalie - Darthvader is pretty stellar.
I always look forward to you're blog around this time of year because of these pictures. I seriously can't wait to see these bad balloons up close and personal just one more year!! Oh and that video, Sean made me laugh so hard...the look he gave Arthur when he asked him to point out some of the balloons was priceless. I loved it!!
Great pics guys! Oh how I wish I were there again this year. Maybe next year. Oh and I LOVE the pic of Hayden chowing down on the burrito!
dude, I would totally be there except I'll be gone on a mission!!!! I love he shot of Hayden eating the Boritto! so cute! LOVE YOU GUYS!! I'm so excited to see you this christmas in New Mexico!
Post a Comment