Saturday, May 01, 2010

3 a.m.

It snowed yesterday.  It was the last day of April, and it snowed!  So naturally, I worried about my garden--last year we didn't get fruit on any of our trees because there was a freeze while the blossoms were on.  So this year, I was watching carefully and was so happy to hear the bees busily at work on all our fruit trees.  And I've been checking to see the blossoms turn into tiny little peaches, cherries, apples and pears!  There are so many we will definitely have to thin them out.  So if this weather destroys my fruit again, I'm going to be SO SAD!!!  In addition to the fruit, we've already planted tomatoes, peppers, basil, and berries.  So far everything has seemed okay, except the peppers--I think they prefer much hotter weather than we've been having.  So I figured for good measure, I would cover the plants with grocery bags so they wouldn't freeze.

Well, last night I woke up to hear the heater come on--it hasn't come on for a  month or more, so it smelled kind of funny.  Well, as I lay there in my nice comfy bed, it dawned on me that if the heater was coming on, it was probably pretty cold outside.  And I'd totally forgotten to cover the plants!  So I lay there for probably a half an hour, debating whether or not I should go out and cover them.  I knew I'd be kicking myself if I didn't do it and they died.  So I lay there a little longer counting in my head how many grocery bags I'd need, and rationalizing that if the heater didn't come back on, I'd just not worry about it.  But the heater did come back on, so I left my warm bed, put on my robe, and a jacket, and went outside to cover my precious plants at 3 a.m.

Of course, after you go for a 3 a.m. stroll outside, you don't fall right back to sleep.  I had a million things going through my head--stake choir, children's music theater, (what if we can't find a performance venue?) I hope Sean does alright at the preschool I signed him up for next year . . .  I hear someone wander into my room around 4 and get a drink of water from my bathtub faucet  (I guess it's easier to reach than the sink faucet?)--I carried Hayden back to his bed to tuck him in, more thinking . . .  laundry to fold, rooms to clean, YW lessons to prepare, find a new eye doctor for me and Dallin, piano recital next week, all interspersed with, "just relax--you can't do anything about it now. . ." It would be nice if I could physically switch my mind off.

I don't know when I finally fell asleep, but I do know it was very hard to wake up this morning.  With all that thinking, I guess I feel somewhat justified to still be in my pajamas at 11 a.m.  Better get a move-on, though.  Clearly, I have plenty to keep me busy.

5 comments:

McEntire Family said...

Where did you sign Sean up for preschool? Also - let me know if you find a new eye Dr. - I still go to my guy in Idaho and I haven't lived there for 13 years!

Jennifer said...

Oh man!!! I am so proud of you for covering your plants! I sure wouldn't want to leave my bed that early either! And yes, you do sound like you have PLENTY to keep you busy! Love you!

Sarah said...

You should have called me--I was up--not covering plants but worrying about CMT!

Connie said...

I meant to comment on your birthday post. Welcome to 30! It looks great on you and your party looked fabulous. I love the book too, so sweet. Hope your plants survive the cold!

Mindy said...

I hope that your plants survive today's (Sunday's) stormy weather! So crazy!