Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Who has the most fingerprints of them all?

Dallin, Daphne and I cleaned the bathrooms on Saturday.  My bathroom had been especially neglected--the amount of time since its previous cleaning shall hereby remain undocumented because it would probably turn your stomach.  Anyway, at the end of the day, I was so happy that all the bathrooms smelled good and  were sparkling clean.  I kept peeking in the bathrooms to admire my handiwork.

But by Sunday morning Hayden couldn't resist any longer:
(one of his siblings took this incriminating photo)


Here's the thing:  If the mirror has finger prints on it already, there is no temptation to wipe dirty fingers on it.  But when a mirror is clean, apparently, it's just begging to be smeared.  

I've been thinking about this phenomenon and have come to this conclusion:  It's like a skier who is going down the mountain and off to one side, sees a beautiful patch of fresh powder without any tracks in it.  You just almost can't help yourself from going over to that patch of untouched snow and making the first tracks.  I think it's like that when a kid sees a  freshly cleaned mirror.  He just has to be the one to make the first tracks on the mirror.  Once the tracks are there, the temptation isn't nearly so irresistible.

When I saw my messed up mirror Sunday morning, at first I wanted to sell Hayden to the gypsies.  But then I thought that would be a heinous thing to do, especially on a Sunday, so instead I resigned myself to the fact that for now, I'll just have to be content with mirrors that stay clean for very short amounts of time.

7 comments:

Reed Family said...

We have a mirror in the hall upstairs that is the same way. If it's dirty, Carter just walks right past it. If it's clean, he gravitates to it...just so he can smoosh his nose, lips and fingers (generally dirty ones) all over it. Oh the simple joys of Motherhood. :)

Erin said...

so true Sharee, so true. I guess that goes with the rest of the house too. Nothing ever stays clean for very long...there's always a load of laundry, a bathroom, or even a face to clean. Sometimes it is very discouraging. But it won't be like this forever. I guess we have to enjoy it while it lasts!

Melanie said...

haaa! Hayden is mischeviously adorable. I'm so glad you didn't sell him to the gypsies.

love,

Mel

Mindy said...

Love the fingerprints...and that someone else's bathroom just might get cleaned as infrequently as mine:-)

Trisha said...

I can so relate...its our sliding glass door. I cannot keep fingerprints off of it for the life of me. My sweet mother-in-law always tells me that its things like that one day you will miss when they are all grown and moved out. I try to remind myself of that when literally seconds after I clean it their hands are all over it :)

The Aussie and the Owl said...

What a mischievous little guy! Someday you will clean your house and it will stay clean for days - wouldn't that be boring? :)

Julie Smith said...

That is a problem at our house too Sharee! The mirrors are not nearly so infuriating as the sliding glass doors to the backyard. Mercy.