This is day six of vocal silence. In the last several days, I have taken care of five kids silently, taught 4 silent piano lessons, and directed a silent choir rehearsal. I use a trusty white board, mouthing words, and lots of hand signs (too bad I don't actually know sign language!) When he's here, Arthur is my interpreter. He added lots of good insight and praise of the choir during our last choir practice. :) He made me a sign to wear to Messiah rehearsal last night--too bad we didn't get a picture of it-- I wore it around my neck and it said, "Sorry I can't talk--I am on vocal rest for 3 weeks." Kind of ridiculous, but very effective. I sat in the back and listened for balance and other areas that need improvement.
Thoughts/Lessons learned so far:
1. Kids respond a lot better to silence than to yelling. Instead of yelling across the house for them to get dressed or practice the piano or make their lunch. I go right up to them and mouth the words while acting out what they are supposed to do. And . . . they do it. awesome. I think they like the little extra attention. Takes a little more energy, but it's working.
2. There has been less yelling/contention in our house by everyone since I have stopped talking. interesting.
3. Disciplining the younger ones is kind of hard. I can't give verbal warnings, so when they do something wrong, I physically stop whatever it is they are doing, and if they repeat it, they go on time-out. Hayden has learned that if he doesn't look at me, I can't tell him anything. So sometimes I have to bonk his head to get his attention.
4. I really miss laughing out loud.
5. And I really missed singing yesterday--the hymns in church, the songs in choir practice and especially singing with the Messiah choir when we joined with the orchestra for the first time yesterday! You know that saying, "You don't know what you had till it's gone." Well, I appreciated what I had. I love singing, especially in praise of my Redeemer. And it tears me apart inside when I have to sit by and not join in.
6. Most of all, I miss talking with Arthur, singing to Sydney, and telling my kids I love them. But I am trying to show it more physically with lots of hugs and kisses. December 7th seems a long ways away.
7. The ENT's around here are all booked until February. I called several weeks ago and got an appointment for February 1st. However, a friend of mine has a brother who's a doctor, who has an ENT friend in Los Alamos (about an hour & 1/2 away) who said he will get me in next week-when he gets back into town! So we're calling to get an appointment with him, and hopefully we can figure this out!
8. I am thankful for so many kind friends who've offered to help. I appreciate all their well-wishes and prayers. We're really doing pretty good--I can pretty much do everything I need to do--just a little quieter. :)
3 comments:
So glad you can get into a Dr. sooner! Hopefully he can help you out so you can get back to singing again (and talking!).
Interesting insights! I still don't know how you are doing it. I can't sing, but I sure can talk and I know I'd miss that. You are awesome!
my voice is always the first thing to go when i get a cold (read, every spring and fall i have no voice for two-four weeks), so i've been croaking at my kids for the last few days. you've really helped me put my minor complaint in perspective!!! i can't imagine not talking/singing/etc
good luck with everything!
Post a Comment