Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Silent Treatment

What's the longest amount of time you've gone without talking? 
(sleeping time doesn't count).
3 minutes?
3 hours?
3 days?
how about 3 weeks?

Yesterday at 3:30 p.m. I began three weeks of silence.  I have nodules on my vocal folds.  


People who use their voices a lot in loud environments are particularly susceptible to these--teachers, singers, mothers-of-five-kids etc.  I'm pretty sure these started  back in September when I got sick and completely lost my voice.  Instead of resting it, I kept trying to talk to my kids and my piano students and the choirs I direct . . .  And my voice hasn't been the same since.  It's been hoarse and painful to speak and sing.  A lot of times the sound doesn't even come out right.  And it has been getting worse.  

The soonest appointment I could get with an otolaryngologist isn't until February, so I'm trying voice rest for three weeks and hoping they'll go away on their own!  Voice rest means, no talking, singing, whispering, laughing, crying, clearing my throat, coughing, etc.  I read on another site that you could talk up to 15 minutes a day and still be resting your voice, so I'm saving that time for emergencies;  Like today at the grocery store when I saw an old friend that I haven't seen in months and months and it's faster to say, "Hi, how are you," and, "Happy Thanksgiving" than try to write a big long message about nodules and voice rest.

For normal "conversation" I carry around a notebook or a dry erase board so I can write messages, but it gets a little tricky when all the readers are gone for the day.  Hayden keeps saying, "Mom!  I can't hear you!" I'm doing a lot of hand signs, and charades to get the little boys to understand "that it's time to get shoes on--we're getting in the car," or whatever else it may be.

We'll see how it goes.  Kind of inconvenient with family coming for the holidays, and preparing two choirs for performances in December.  But there won't ever be a convenient time to stop talking for three weeks, so I'm biting the bullet, and doing it before they get bigger and have to be removed surgically.

So don't be offended the next time you see me if I don't talk to you.  Believe me, I wish I could!  In the meantime, my blogging may pick up because I just always have so much to say!  Wish me luck and think of me whenever you say something.
anything.
at all.

"I don't wanna hear another poop outta you!"
"I think he means peep!"
(name the movie.  :) )

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

SHAREE!!!! Ohmygoodness!!! You are in my prayers, girl. I can't even imagine . . .

Rebecca Carter said...

We will be thinking of you and remembering your beautiful voice in our prayers.

Please, please let Harvey and me know if there is anything at all you need. We're home so much during the day. You can send me a text message on my cell phone - 506-0641. Here's Harvey's cell phone number, too - 974-1345.

Reed Family said...

Holy Cow!!! When I called today and Dallin said are on voice rest, I felt AWFUL for you! I remember when you had to do this back in high school. Dallin was very helpful though and I was so impressed with him. Hope all goes well...that those darn nodules go away and you're able to make it 3 weeks! (Maybe I should go on voice rest, just to break the habit of feeling like I have to nag my kids to get something done...hmmmm.)

Kristine said...

I've been trying to think of something I could drop off to make your life easier, are something I could do, or something to make you laugh. I hope you will be ok...it's a good time to meditate I suppose. Silence...Good Luck.

Erin said...

Wow Sharee! Good luck. Hope your voice heals on its own! Maybe that will help the noise level come down in the house...I might have to try that too!

The Aussie and the Owl said...

That's so crazy Sharee! I hope they go away on their own and you feel better but you will be happy to know Mike is so good at sign language now his professor tried to get him to change his major to be an interpreter for the deaf. If anyone can read your hand signs and charades it's Mikey :)

Meri said...

Good call, Sharee. Protect that voice! I LOVE IT SO MUCH! I think everyone can give you 3 weeks of voice rest for a really good cause. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Sharee. Your voice is super special to us all, so take care of it. Hope you make it the 3 weeks and that the nodules go away and dont come back EVER AGAIN.

Mindy said...

Has anyone named that movie yet? It's one of my all-time favorites: The Music Man (Mayor Shin and his wife). Love that one!!

I hope that your voice rest works wonders!