I've never celebrated April Fool's Day before, but I woke up Friday morning and thought it would be fun to be silly and have ourselves a crazy little party. So I looked up some recipes on line, and called Julianne and Eric and our friends the Schmutz's to join us for an impromptu April Fool's Dinner. The rule was you couldn't come unless you looked like a ridiculous fool. Sean wasn't really feelin' it, but he kept some of his stuff on at least for the pictures.
We had "Dirty Dishwater" to drink
(Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Limeade, Sprite and Sherbet.
It really does look like dirty dishwater, don't you think?)
And Aquarium Jello:
(don't worry--that fish bowl has never been used by an actual fish.)
And the main dish was this cake:
It's actually meatloaf frosted with mashed potatoes, and topped with random birthday candles.
The kids were all confused when I put it on their plates--they kept trying to figure out what the heck was going on with the cake!
Sean and Ray
Hayden, in one of his many different costumes that night.
He was very indecisive that night!
He was very indecisive that night!
Bobby looking good in his April Fool's attire!
Sydney is just too cute to look ridiculous. ;)
We played a couple of games designed to make you feel like . . . A FOOL, of course. This one I learned from my younger siblings. You start with the cookie on your forehead and using nothing but your face muscles, get it down into your mouth.
This hideous blue dress was a great find at Good Will a couple of years ago. When I saw it, I knew I must have it for my own. It would surely come in handy for a costume of some sort. And it finally had it's day on April 1st.
And Steve was the champion of the cookie face race!
Another game we played is one where you have to suck M&Ms out of a bowl with a straw, and whoever gets the most out before the game ends, wins. Eric blew us all out of the water with his superior M&M sucking skills. Wow. Good times.
Lilly enjoying her "dirt & worms" for dessert.
It was a super fun night. I think one of the reasons it was so much fun was because it was thrown together on a whim. Sometimes when I have more time to plan something, my expectations rise, and as a result, the final product doesn't always deliver the way I imagine. But this was so last-minute, that I didn't really have any expectations at all, and I just totally had a blast. Thanks Anderson's and Schmutz's for being willing to be a little crazy with me. I'm glad I have friends and family who love me even when "I looked like a fool last night!"
(name the movie.)






13 comments:
Cute!
Such a cute idea! I love it! :)
p.s. Nacho Libre is the name of the movie! Lol
Love it! What fun ideas!
love it sharee! i've never done anything before either but it was fun. Love your dishwater drink...I might have to use that next year! And we are definitely adding games to the mix too!
AWESOME!!! Oh, how I wish I lived closer to you guys...maybe I should just copy your ideas and make some fun happen round here. Love you guys!!!
That does look like fun. Way to celebrate! That cake looks kind of gross... way to go!
I'm so glad you're my sister, that you have brilliant party ideas and that I finally live close enough to you to be invited to those super cool parties! Love you lots and thanks again for letting us come to your April Fool's party we had a blast!!
Nachoooooooooooo!
Looks like so much fun! Wish we lived closer - mike and I have the perfect foolish outfits :)
that is so cute! What a fun day.. maybe I'll actually have to celebrate April Fools next year =)
I love this! Great ideas! I just have to tell you that I love your blog! I just love the things you write! You have such a great family!
Love all these ideas... so this weekend my father in law told us that a couple in their ward won the $100,000 on America's Funniest Videos with that oreo cookie game.
Post a Comment